Low fat venison sausage casserole is an extremely tasty and easy one pot budget family meal. Made in just one hour, you’ll want to add this recipe to your quick healthy meals dinner list!
Folks this low fat venison sausage casserole is the ultimate venison sausage recipe.
And you can’t beat a classic comfort food dish like a sausage casserole can you?
This one pot recipe is just the best way to get all the flavour out of venison sausages.
I’ve been wanting to make a low calorie venison sausage casserole for while.
I noticed a low calorie pack of venison sausages being sold in my local supermarket recently. So I thought I’d give them a trial with a casserole recipe I had in my head.
And I wasn’t disappointed. I’m pretty sure that you won’t be either!
Now this venison sausage casserole is healthy because I used low fat venison sausages.
But also venison sausages are normally cheaper than regular pork or beef sausages.
That means this recipe is great for feeding a family. Especially if you’re on a budget.
Why not have a hunt about in your local supermarket and see if you can find cuts of meat (other than the traditional beef or pork) that have been made into sausages?
They’re often cheaper, and if you can find chicken ones, then why not try my chicken sausage casserole recipe too? 🙂
Why You’ll Love This Low Fat Venison Sausage Casserole Recipe
- This low calorie sausage casserole is simple to make.
- It makes for a great healthy family meal.
- It’s freezable too. For any that you might have left over!
- There’s a good helping of vitamin C and protein in it.
- And how should you serve this sausage casserole? Well it goes well with rice, couscous or a few new baby boiled potatoes!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Add your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Low Fat Venison Sausage Casserole Recipe
Enjoy this recipe for low fat venison sausage casserole!
But if you can’t get venison sausages any kind of good quality low fat sausages will work with the recipe too!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
- 6 venison sausages
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 red peppers sliced
- 250 g button mashrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- 2 in beef stock cubes mixed 250ml boiled water
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Grill the venison sausages under a medium grill, or use a George Forman grill. Once cooked lay aside to cool whilst you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Spray the bottom of a stove proof casserole dish or a medium sized saucepan with the cooking spray. Turn the heat on high and when the oil starts to bubble reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until soft, stirring to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Once the onion is softened add the peppers and mushrooms and saute for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, mixed herbs, cornflour mixture, stock and dijon mustard and combine everything well.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and stir together.
- Bring the contents of the pan to the boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Whilst simmering away cut the sausages into half lengthways and then half the halves, and cut those in half so that you have 8 pieces from each sausage.
- Add the sausage pieces to the saucepan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until everything has cooked through and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide between bowls and serve with couscous or basmati rice.