Quick and easy pasta pomodoro is the perfect family dinner for when you’re short of time. Ready in just 30 minutes you’ll love this cheats version of the tasty Italian classic!
Folks, my quick and easy pasta pomodoro recipe is a cheats version of the favourite Italian classic.
The original pomodoro calls for the making of a homemade tomato sauce. My version uses cherry tomatoes to create a quick substitute sauce which saves both time and effort.
You can’t go wrong with a delicious hearty dish of spaghetti pasta smothered in a sweet cherry tomato sauce. Especially when you’re feeding a crowd!
Just like my favorite easy pasta arrabiata this satisfying dish is soon to become a family favourite!
So what exactly is pasta pomodoro?
Well put quite simply “Pomodoro” in Italian literally means “tomato”
Pomodoro is a sauce made from tomatoes, typically served with spaghetti. Although it can of course be served with other types of pasta.
Not to be confused with marinara sauce, the original pomodoro sauce is thick and smooth whilst marinara is runny and chunky.
Now, I’m in no way saying my version is the same as the classic pomodoro.
My version doesn’t involve making a thick sauce. Instead I’ve left my sauce with chunks of softenned cherry tomatoes in.
You could of course puree the cherry tomatoes once cooked and then stir in the basil leaves at part 3) of the recipe instructions below, if you wanted to but you know sometimes simple is best.
Simply toss the spaghetti into the cheats pomodoro sauce and serve topped with some parmesan cheese!
For This Pasta Pomodoro you may need……
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
The set includes 16, 18, 20 cm saucepans, 1 x 14 cm milk pan and 1 x 24 cm fry pan.
The pans are suitable for all hobs including induction.
They come with a 1-year guarantee which can be extended to a 10-year warranty when you register the product.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Pasta Recipes You Might Also Like
- Pesto chicken tagliatelle is a fantastic 20-minute budget recipe just bursting with flavour. This easy pasta dinner makes for a comforting and filling weeknight family meal!
- Crème fraiche tagliatelle chicken is a delicious dinner recipe. A fusion of chicken and vegetables cooked in low fat crème fraiche instead of cream.
- Low fat tagliatelle carbonara is a lighter version of the traditional classic Italian pasta dish. Ready in just 30 minutes, this healthier recipe is the perfect weeknight low fat dinner.
Quick And Easy Pasta Pomodoro Recipe
Serve your pasta pomodoro with a fresh green salad.
You could also stir in some cooked chicken if you wanted to!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Quick And Easy Pasta Pomodoro
- 300 g spaghetti
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 275 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly grated black pepper
- 10 basil leaves chopped
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to package instructions until al dente.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, in a large frying pan, gently heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently until lightly golden, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and salt then cook, stirring for about 8 minutes at a medium heat until the tomatoes have broken down. Season to taste with the black pepper then stir in the basil leaves and turn off the heat.
- Strain the pasta but reserve a little of the pasta water and add the pasta to the large frying pan. Toss the pasta gently making sure it's fully covered with the sauce. Add a little of the pasta water if the mixture is too dry.
- Divide the spaghetti between plates and serve topped with the parmesan cheese.