Low fat tagliatelle carbonara is a lighter version of the traditional classic Italian pasta dish. Ready in just 30 minutes, this healthier recipe is the perfect weeknight low fat dinner.
This healthier low fat tagliatelle carbonara recipe is so creamy folks! You’d be forgiven for thinking that its made the traditional way with egg yolks to make up the sauce.
Nope! There’s no eggs used here to make up that sauce, nor is there any full fat cream either.
What I’ve used here instead is low fat creme fraiche, in moderation, and some grated Parmesan.
That’s what still gives it that delicious creamy cheesy indulgent sauce affect. But it’s now a lighter low fat carbonara with creme fraiche!
This low fat carbonara recipe is ideal if you’re trying to cut out fat or are on a low fat diet.
Or when you just crave a yummy low fat pasta recipe with less calories.
It was about seven years ago when I decided enough was enough. I needed to shift the extra two stones in weight I was carrying around.
I started doing that by changing the ingredients I cooked with. By cooking and eating more low fat recipes. For example replacing cream with fat free yogurt, creme fraiche or a light cream cheese.
Cooking this way, replacing high fat or calorific ingredients with lower fat / lower calorie substitutes is now the norm. It stuck and since then I haven’t put the weight back on.
Sometimes though, you really can’t beat a good old fashioned rich Italian Carbonara. And I do look forward to that as a treat when Lady Lynne and I go out for dinner together, to a real Italian restaurant! 🙂
Cooking at home though I prefer to cook healthy low fat meals. Like this low fat healthy tagliatelle recipe.
Why This Low Fat Tagliatelle Carbonara Is Healthier
- Instead of regular bacon or lardons as is traditional, I used turkey bacon which is lower in calories and fat.
- Eggs and full fat cream, which are high in fat and calories are not used.
- Low fat creme fraiche mixed with some grated parmesan makes up the alternative sauce.
- There are only 450 calories in this low calorie carbonara. A full fat version can be up to 650 calories per portion!
For This Tagliatelle Carbonara You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- Non stick frying pan
- Measuring spoons
- Kitchen knives
- Measuring jug
- Chopping board
- Wooden spoon
- Garlic press
The set includes 16, 18, 20 cm saucepans, 1 x 14 cm milk pan and 1 x 24 cm fry pan.
The pans are suitable for all hobs including induction.
They come with a 1-year guarantee which can be extended to a 10-year warranty when you register the product.
Why Not Try These Other Popular Low Fat Pasta Recipes?
- Pesto chicken tagliatelle is a fantastic 20-minute budget recipe just bursting with flavour. This easy pasta dinner makes for a comforting and filling weeknight family meal!
- Crème fraiche tagliatelle chicken is a delicious dinner recipe. A fusion of chicken and vegetables cooked in low fat crème fraiche instead of cream.
- This easy pasta arrabiata recipe is a simple quick healthy meal for four made in less than half an hour. When you’re short on time, but still want those classic Mediterranean flavours, this delicious dish will satisfy all those needs with minimal fuss and effort.
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, next Tuesday I want to talk to you all about my amazing new Froothie Optimum VAC2 Air Vacuum Blender.
I used to find it a right pain in the a** having to clean my old smoothie maker. Not with this one though, one drop of washing up liquid and some warm water, you switch it on and it becomes it’s own personal dishwasher! I’ll tell you more about it on Tuesday!
Then on Thursday, I think it’s time for the first cheesecake of the year, an Easy Lemon Cheesecake Squares recipe. It’s a bit of a twist on a previous popular recipe that I’ve posted, but made simpler and healthier. I think you’ll love it!
So, have an amazing weekend Folks and I hope you can join me on Tuesday.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Low Fat Tagliatelle Carbonara Recipe
For this healthy carbonara recipe I used shop bought tagliatelle pasta to save time. But, when I have more time I do like to make my own tagliatelle pasta.
To make your own Tagliatelle, follow the steps in my Tagliatelle With Home-made Pesto recipe.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Low Fat Tagliatelle Carbonara
- 400 g dried tagliatelle
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 rashers of turkey bacon chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 200 ml low fat crème fraiche
- 60 g parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp flatleaf parsley chopped
- Freshly grated salt and pepper
- Cook tagliatelle according to package directions*.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and sauté the onion, bacon and garlic together until cooked for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Stir in the crème fraiche and when it starts to bubble turn down to simmer stirring frequently for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the parmesan, parsley and season to taste.
- Drain the pasta and combine it with the sauce. Serve.