Quick healthy beef stroganoff is an easy cheats version of the classic hearty meal made to suit the whole family. This delicious creamy tasting recipe will fully satisfy those hungry mouths!
This quick healthy beef stroganoff has a beautiful creamy sauce with hints of paprika and mustard.
My secret ingredient to being able to make it quickly and more healthily is simply a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup.
Indeed, that one can of soup provides not just the creaminess but also a ton of flavour too.
When combined with the tender stir fried strips of beef it makes what I can only describe as a tasty marriage made in heaven!
But what exactly is beef stroganoff?
Well, I actually had to google it myself! It is a Russian dish of sauteed pieces of beef served in a sauce.
All I knew before I googled it was that it was an extremely popular dish ordered frequently from the menu in the restaurant of the hotel in Dundee where I worked in the kitchen, as a kitchen porter when I was a student.
Today I thought I’d dig out that recipe from my memory banks and make it as a healthier and simpler recipe that we can all make at home.
The version that we cooked in the hotel was quite heavy on the cream.
Now folks, you know that I’m not against cream in any way, as I explained in depth in the strawberry chia overnight oats recipe, I just believe it has more place and prefer to use it within my pudding recipes!
Tips For This Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- Use a good quality lean sirlion steak, cut the strips nice and thin which will ensure the meat cooks quickly and the flavour is released into the recipe as soon as possible.
- The traditional version of this recipe is served with egg noodles. Serve it that way if you want but I like to serve it with some wholegrain basmati rice which can be cooked during the making and cooking of the stroganoff itself.
- Wondering what vegetables to serve with your beef stroganoff? It goes well with some simple green ones, like steamed broccoli or peas.
- Beef stroganoff is easy to freeze. Allow it to cool first before transferring it to an airtight freezer container.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Beef Recipes You Might Also Like
- Slow cooker beef curry is absolutely packed full of flavour. It’s an easy healthy recipe that makes the meat so tender it will melt in your mouth!
- Chilli beef stir fry. Thin strips of steak, pepper and green beans cooked in a tasty sauce make up this sensational easy, healthy stir fry. Wok to table in just over 30 minutes!
- Let the mouth-watering aromas of this delicious healthy Moroccan beef tagine permeate every part of your kitchen! Packed full of essential vitamins and minerals, and all done in one pot, you’ll love this simple, tasty, healthy family dish.
Coming Next Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
I’ve still got a number of one pan recipes like this quick healthy beef stroganoff recipe stored up in my head from my kitchen porter days so be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss those.
In fact, it’s not just recipes I’ve got up in my head from those days, there are a lot of good times too.
There was great camaraderie working in the kitchen when it was extremely hot and busy. Often we were catering on a Saturday night for a full restaurant of 60 people as well as a packed wedding function of 150!
I’m grateful that I was introduced and shown how to properly cook by the chefs there. Of course I’m grateful nowadays to be able to share my version of those recipes and stories of those times here too.
Right, I’ll be back on Thursday with a Scottish indoor BBQ recipe. A what Neil? Well, you’ll just have to check back to find out wont you? 😉
Quick Healthy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
In my recipe I used sirloin steaks cut into thin strips, but any tender cut of beef should work. You may have to adjust your cooking time to suit though.
You could make this an even heathier dish by try it on top of courgette (zucchini) noodles!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Quick Healthy Beef Stroganoff
- Low fat cooking oil spray
- 450 g lean sirloin steak cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 200 g button mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 100 ml Beef stock
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. Paprika
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt fat free
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan and spray the bottom of it with the cooking oil spray.
- Once the cooking spray has begun to bubble a little add the sirloin strips and brown them, stir frying the around the pan for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not allow them to burn. Remove strips from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside leaving the juices in the pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms to the pan juices and saute until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Pour the can of condensed cream of mushroom soup into the pan, stirring it into the onion mixture, then add the beef stock and stir in the Dijon mustard and Paprika too. Season to taste.
- Bring the onion mixture to a simmer then add back the beef strips into the pan and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the yogurt.
- Serve in the centre of rice garnished with the chopped parsley.