This strawberry and almond rye flakes porridge breakfast is a heart healthy, nutritious, tasty and naturally sweetened alternative start to the day and will keep you fuller for longer!
Enter porridge breakfast number 4 from this week’s series – delicious strawberry and almond rye flakes porridge!
Remember to check out my previous 3 porridge breakfast recipes:-
And, if porridge isn’t your thing, no problems, simply check out the entire breakfast recipes in the index for other options. 😀
I hadn’t tried out this wholegrain as a porridge until recently when I googled it and there were indeed recipes to be found.
I usually just use rye flakes in my home made muesli recipe but now I’ll be enjoying this strawberry and rye flakes porridge alongside all my other porridge recipes too!
- 35 g rye flakes
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 150 ml skimmed milk/other milk of choice or water
- 80 g chopped strawberries
- 20 g flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp runny honey (optional)
- Place the rye flakes into a small saucepan with the chia seeds and add the milk.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer, stirring continuously until the rye flakes are soft and a desired consistency is achieved.
- Place the rye flakes into a microwaveable dish with the chia seeds and add the milk.
- Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, stir and then microwave for one more minute. (Microwave times may vary so watch the porridge does not boil over).
- Remove the cooked porridge to a serving bowl.
- Stir in the chopped strawberries and flaked almonds and mix in the flax seeds.
- Drizzle the runny honey over.
The rye flakes and chia seeds can be soaked overnight in the milk.
This is a good old fashioned nordic porridge breakfast that will have you savouring each and every mouthful.
I’ll be bringing you the final porridge recipe of the week tomorrow. 🙂
But, I’d love to hear what you think of this strawberry and almond rye flakes porridge?
Finally today as its Thursday I like to link up with Amanda at Running with Spoons here to share with you what’s going on over there!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.