Barley flakes and apple porridge is a delicious alternative to oatmeal. Nutty tasting packed full of fibre and essential vitamins and minerals it’ll help to awaken all your senses in the morning!
Hello there breakfast loving friends and welcome to today’s barley flakes and apple porridge breakfast recipe!
This is breakfast number 3 in this week’s series of porridge/wholegrain variation breakfasts.
I like to vary my breakfast porridges as much as possible, so that’s where this barley flakes and apple porridge comes in. It makes a nice change from oatmeal.
Barley flakes are packed with fibre, contain important vitamins and minerals, are extremely low in fat and, as with all plant products, are cholesterol free.
Packed full of protein and excellent for the digestive system, barley flakes are also a low GI food. Ideal for those concerned about their consumption of high GI cereals, to choose as an alternative, should they be advised to do so by a medical practitioner.
The apple and added sultanas are perfect to compliment and sweeten the barley flakes enough so that you shouldn’t actually need to add any sweetener.
For This Barley Flakes Porridge You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
Great value for money it’s high quality and easy to use.
A perfect measuring jug, easy to clean and suitable for oven and microwave use too!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Alternative Porridge Breakfast Recipes You Might Also Like
- Banana millet porridge is a deliciously creamy tasting alternative breakfast to oatmeal. Gluten free and ready in just 15 minutes, this healthy and satisfying breakfast makes for a great start to the day!
- Quinoa bircher muesli with apple and banana is a delicious and healthy breakfast that’s made the night before making your morning stress free and easy.
- Semolina breakfast porridge is a delicious, sweet and nutritious alternative to traditional porridge oats. Made with sliced banana, sultanas and chopped nuts it’s a healthy and filling start to the day too!
Barley Flakes and Apple Porridge Recipe
Barley flakes and apple porridge is a heart healthy delicious alternative to oatmeal porridge.
Make it your own by adding or trying different fruits nuts and seeds!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Barley Flakes and Apple Porridge
- 35 g barley flakes
- 1 tbsp . chia seeds optional
- 150 ml skimmed milk/other milk of choice or water
- 30 g sultanas
- 10 g pumpkin seeds
- 1 small cored and diced apple
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flax seeds optional
- 1 tsp runny honey optional
- Place the barley flakes into a small saucepan with the chia seeds and add the milk.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer, stirring continuously until the barley flakes are soft and a desired consistency is achieved.
- Place the barley flakes into a microwaveable dish with the chia seeds and add the milk.
- Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, stir and then microwave for one more minute. (Microwave times may vary so watch the porridge does not boil over).
- Remove the cooked porridge to a serving bowl.
- Stir in the sultanas and pumpkin seeds and top with the diced apple, cinnamon and flax seeds.
- Drizzle the runny honey over.