Sugar free easy apple strudel has all the sweet flavours of a traditional strudel dessert even though it’s sugar free. You’ll love this simple to make delicious healthy apple strudel recipe.
You folks loved my sugar free cinnamon apple crumble recipe.
So I’m pretty sure you’ll love this delicious healthier sugar free apple strudel recipe too!
Crispy filo pastry wrapped around a deliciously sweet apple cinnamon and raisin filling. What’s not to love about that?
Only 5 ingredients are needed so it’s easy to make too.
Perfect for dinner parties of up to 6. With this apple strudel filo recipe you can let the conversation flow without having to spend lot’s of time stuck in the kitchen preparing dessert!
In order to make this recipe sugar free I substituted sugar with Stevia instead.
Stevia is an herb, originally from South America, though it now grows throughout the world.
Plus I made this apple strudel with filo pastry instead of traditional puff pastry.
Using filo pastry means this strudel dessert is lower calorie and suitable for vegans too.
The reason why filo pastry is much healthier than puff pastry and suitable for vegans is because it’s made only from flour and water.
Traditional apple strudel variations use a layered pastry made from flour and fats such as oil or butter. Those pastries are high in fat.
So eliminating that fat content of the pastry reduces the amount of calories too.
Standard apple strudel calories can be up to 300 calories per serving whereas my apple strudel recipe is only 236 calories per serving.
Of course as usual just let me say here that neither my other half or I exclude sugar or treats with sugar entirely from our diet.
Not at all!
We just choose to minimise or exclude sugar when we can. Saving our sugar allocation for another time.
All under the rules of 80/20 rule for eating! 🙂
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Sugar Free Dessert Recipes You Might Also Like
- Strawberry vanilla pudding is a tasty no bake quick and easy pudding. Just 10 minutes to make and a couple of hours to set in the fridge and that’s dessert sorted!
- Vegan semolina chocolate pudding. Low fat, low carb and only 233 calories per serving. You won’t believe that when you taste it, as it’s just so utterly decadent and chocolatey! Great if you’re watching your waistline!
- Baked vanilla ricotta pudding is a deliciously creamy and easy to make dessert recipe. With just 5 ingredients it’s naturally sweetened and takes hardly any time too!
Sugar Free Easy Apple Strudel Recipe
This sugar free easy apple strudel is delicious served with a spoonful of low fat vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Sugar Free Easy Apply Strudel
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- Low fat cooking oil spray
- 650 g cooking apples peeled, cored and diced
- 75 g raisins
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp stevia powder
- 6 Filo pastry sheets
- Preheat the oven to 170C Fan. Lightly grease a baking tray using the cooking oil spray.
- Place the apples, raisins, cinnamon and stevia into a bowl and mix by hand.
- Lay out a sheet of the filo pastry and lightly spray it with the cooking oil. Lay another sheet on top and repeat this process until you have used all of the 6 filo pastry sheets.
- Arrange the apple mixture lengthways evenly along the centre of the pastry to within 2-3cm of each edge. Fold the two shorter edges over the filling and then roll the sheets up to form a log shape.
- Lightly spray the strudel with the cooking oil spray. Then carefully transfer it to the greased baking tray.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.
- Leave the strudel to cool down slightly. Dust with a light sprinkle of stevia and serve with a little fat free, sugar free vanilla ice cream or a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt.