Tomato basil mozzarella filo parcels are a delicious healthier version of Empanadas. All the classic flavours you would expect from a tomato basil mozzarella Empanada but with less calories and fat!
Tomato basil mozzarella filo parcels are my latest tasty filo parcel creation.
The best comparison I could come up with here is that they’re like Empanadas being a folded pastry dough with a stuffing.
But I think they could also be compared to a certain brand of crispy pancakes!
Does anyone remember those crispy pancakes I’m referring to?
A quick google to see if those pancakes are actually still available (it’s been that long since I had them) and they’re not.
I loved those as a kid, but I recall that they weren’t particularly healthy.
So I tell you what, these are my healthier version of those crispy pancakes or a version of Empanadas, you choose!
These filo parcels are beautifully flaky and with an amazing satisfying crunch.
Then there’s the tomato basil mozzarella filling; a classic combination of flavours that go together so well!
I’ve been using filo pastry as a lower calorie / lower fat alternative to traditional pastry ever since I found a Weigh Watchers recipe that used filo pastry five years ago and I love it!
My variation of that Weight Watchers recipe in question is the salmon filo parcels recipe.
It was about five years ago that I started to change my diet and lifestyle for the better.
Small changes in my cooking and eating habits, like using filo pastry instead of normal buttery pastry contributing to a gradual two stone weight loss.
It’s not about changing absolutely everything to keep within a healthy weight, it just requires a few dietary and lifestyle changes.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Filo Pastry Recipes You Might Also Like
- Turkey filo pastry samosas are nearly a third of the calories of those you might find in a restaurant. They’re filled with a delicious lightly spiced turkey mince, then baked rather than deep fried, making them a great quick healthy meal!
- Spring salad filo tart is packed full of delicious fresh seasonal flavours. It’s really easy to make, low cost and perfect if you’re short on time.
- Red pepper and spinach filo tart makes for a delicious, versatile, easy hot or cold vegetarian brunch or dinner option. What’s not to like about tasty oven baked veggies topped with Mediterranean herbs and cheese?
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well folks, Lady Lynne and I will be heading off for a short break to London this weekend.
Then on Thursday, a brand new Cheesecake recipe, a no bake mint chocolate chip cheesecake one!
Tomato Basil Mozzarella Filo Parcels
If you can’t get or don’t like mozzarella cheese or just fancy a change use another cheese instead like cheddar.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
- Low fat cooking spray
- 8 sheets Filo Pastry
- 2 tomatoes
- 15 g Basil , chopped
- 150 g grated mozzarella
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- Freshly grated salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Using the low fat cooking spray lightly grease a baking tray
- Using a sharp knife place a cross in the base of the 2 tomatoes, plunge them into boiling water for 20 – 30 seconds, remove them using a slotted spoon, plunge them into cold water briefly and then peal off the skin. Dice the skinned tomatoes.
- Place the tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, olive oil and garlic into a bowl and mix together. Season to taste.
Following the pictures and steps 6 to 11 in the turkey filo pastry samosas recipe, place approximately 2 tbsp. of the tomato mixture onto each pastry sheet and fold into triangles.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 20 minutes turning halfway through.
- Once golden brown remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.
Nutrition label values are per filo parcel.