This turkey bacon and tomato salad is a delicious and easy, tasty, lunch or dinner salad option with a unique Pennsylvania Dutch sweet and sour salad dressing.
It’s so simple, this turkey bacon and tomato salad.
What makes it unique is this wonderful Pennsylvania Dutch sweet and sour low fat salad dressing that I borrowed (with permission) from Janet’s website.
That’s one of the best things about the internet and the huge food blogging community, the sharing of recipes, and being able to experience other tastes that we’ve not tried before!
I came across Janet’s Pennsylvania Dutch sweet and sour low fat salad dressing when searching around for a completely different low fat type salad dressing and her recipe really intrigued me
So I just put together the really simple turkey bacon and tomato salad to go with it.
But, it’s the dressing that I look forward to most in this recipe!
I love the sweet tanginess and the sour contrast of this dressing.
I tried it out on a few of my favourite salad recipes and felt it really brought this salad recipe to life. I’ll definitely be trying it out with my other favourite salads too.
I made the dressing in a medium sized jar and I still have some stored in the fridge.
You can bet none of it is going to waste.
Thanks to Janet for letting me use her recipe in my post!
For This Pennsylvania Dutch Salad Dressing Recipe You May Need…
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- Baking tray
- Kitchen scale
- Measuring jug
- Chopping board
- Kitchen knives
- Measuring spoons
- Pyrex mixing glass bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Salad Recipes You Might Also Like
- This easy honey mustard turkey pasta salad uses a really simple dressing which adds a whole lot of flavour to this recipe and it’s one that is versatile enough for you to use in your own pasta salad recipes too!
- Borlotti bean and tuna salad is made in just 15 minutes. It’s enough to feed a family of 4 and it’s packed with healthy goodness. This tasty recipe makes for an excellent quick healthy meal, ideal as a lunch or dinner option!
- This king prawn and rocket salad has a delicious lime and soy dressing which is bursting with flavour. This is one salad you’ll not want to put down once you’ve started it!
Turkey Bacon and Tomato Salad With Pennsylvania Dutch Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing Recipe
The Pennsylvania dressing can be stored in a jar in the fridge and used in your own salad combos.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Turkey Bacon and Tomato Salad With Pennsylvania Dutch Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing
Pennsylvania Dutch Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing Ingredients:-
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 slice small of wholemeal** or rye bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers of turkey bacon
- 2 little gem lettuce’s***
- 75 g cucumber
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
Pennsylvania Dutch Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing Method:-
- Heat water and sugar in a small sauce pan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled pour into a food processor or blender and add all the other ingredients and blend for 30 seconds.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Slice bread into cubes and mix in a pyrex bowl with the olive oil.
- Place cubes onto a baking tray and bake in oven for 10 – 15 minutes until crunchy croutons are formed then remove from oven.
- Grill the rashers of turkey bacon, allow to cool, then cut into small squares.
- Shred the lettuce, and dice the tomatoes.
- Cut the cucumber into slices and then quarter the slices.
- Add all of the above ingredients into a large mixing bowl and add the sunflower seeds and mix together by hand.
- Portion salad between 2 serving plates and drizzle with 2 – 3 tbsp. of the Dutch Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing.
4 tsp. ground nutmeg
4 tsp. ground ginger
3 tsp. all spice **If you have time follow my own recipe to make your own wholemeal bread. ***I know I always use little gem lettuces in my salad recipes but you can use any such green lettuce like iceberg or romaine. I just like little gem lettuce’s as usually they are the freshest I can get with being available most of the year round in the UK!