This easy cauliflower cheese pasta bake has all the flavours of a classic cauliflower cheese recipe. However, the addition of whole wheat pasta and a reduced fat cheese sauce make it an altogether much more healthier and filling family dinner option. The recipe makes 6 portions, so it’s perfect for freezing any leftovers!
Hello there folks! Today I’m introducing you to this delicious cauliflower cheese pasta bake. It’s our favourite healthier twist on the classic vegetable dish.
Firstly, let me say, I love the classic cauliflower cheese recipe! All that lovely gooey cheese sauce and the soft crunch of the cauliflower.
However, what I don’t love about it, is that it can often be quite calorific. Plus, I don’t know about you folks but it often doesn’t fill me up. 😮
This cauliflower cheese pasta bake will.
Before I go off on one persuade you why you’ll love this cauliflower cheese pasta bake let’s get down to the actual recipe first!
- 225g whole wheat fusilli
- 900g cauliflower, finely chopped or pulsed to a rice consistency in a food processor
- 400ml skimmed milk
- 15g corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- 175g low fat grated cheese
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180C fan.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water for about 8 minutes, drain, and mix in a large bowl with the cauliflower.
- Gently heat the milk in a saucepan and add the corn flour mixture. Stir continuously to form a white sauce ensuring any lumps are removed.
- Gradually stir in 150g of the grated cheese, stirring continuously until it’s melted and has thickened to make cheese sauce then stir in the Dijon mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Carefully pour the cheese sauce into the large bowl with the pasta and cauliflower and mix together thoroughly. Season.
- Transfer the contents to a suitably sized casserole dish then sprinkle the remaining 25g grated cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese on top is bubbling.
All my recipes and conversions to U.S. measuring units can be found at my yummlypage.
Why You’ll Love This Cauliflower Cheese Pasta Bake
- It only takes one hour to make. An ideal family quick healthy meal!
- Six servings mean leftovers can be frozen, helping towards meal planning when you follow the 80/20 rule
- It’s only 345 calories per serving. The nutrition section can provide you with more details as to how many calories you need per day
- A more than recommended daily helping of your vitamin C allowance here, from the cauliflower, will help boost your immune system
- Kids will love this, and you can be sure they’re getting plenty of vitamins and minerals
- Can be used as a side dish as well as a main meal
This cauliflower cheese pasta bake was EXACTLY the thing I needed when I arrived home from climbing Beinn Tulaichean on Saturday!
You can read all about that on Thursday, once Lady Lynne decides which photographs are the best. 😉 Otherwise, if it were left to my deliberation, it would be next year before you saw them!
Liam and I’s hillwalking attempt of Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin last Saturday, that I mentioned in the Mexican bean bake post had to be abandoned. For safety reasons. As this photo shows…..
Oh, but for those of you who aren’t interested in pictures of me gallantly striding forth into the Scottish mountains. I made a fantastic new weekend breakfast/brunch recipe yesterday. That one is all photographed and ready to burst forth onto your screens next week!
Catch up with you all on Thursday!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re following neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post and clicking “Subscribe” or by “following” me via your favourite social media channel below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.