This Mini Bruschetta with Cherry Tomatoes and Basil is very quick and easy to make for a tasty weekend lunch. That’s when my wife and I like to have this. It’s one of our weekend treats. 🙂
There are plenty of recipes similar to this on the Internet. But it doesn’t have to be loaded full of olive oil and ideally it really just should be kept as simple as possible, as it would be in Italy! Simple recipe and simple ingredients.
[recipe title=”Mini Bruschetta with Cherry Tomatoes and Basil” servings=”2″ time=”30mins”]
Cherry Tomatoes and Basil Mixture
Put all the below ingredients into one bowl and mix together to let the flavours of the tomatoes and basil enthuse.
1) 15 – 20 cherry tomatoes or 3 medium sized ripe tomatoes. Finely chopped with the tomato juices and just a splash of olive oil and then seasoned with a little salt and pepper.
2) 6 basil leaves torn into small pieces.
Marinate the bowl of ingredients in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Longer if you can. Check the seasoning.
Prepare the Bruschetta
1) Slice 2 shop bought Ciabatta rolls into 5 or 6 slices each. Or make home-made ones if you have time in the morning!
2) Brush a very small amount of extra virgin olive oil on both sides of the sliced ciabatta.
3) Place the ciabatta slices under a medium heat grill, grill each side until lightly browned watching that they do not burn.
4) Remove the slices from under the grill and rub a garlic clove over one side of each slice, then top that side with some of the cherry tomato and basil mixture.
5) Use low fat grilling cheese if you want a melted cheese topping, add this on top of the cherry tomato and basil mixture and replace under the grill until the cheese has melted.
Serve with salt and pepper to season.