This is a really quick and easy stir fried sesame chicken, leek and noodles dish, to prepare and cook. I’m a big fan of marinating any meat ingredients first for my stir-fry’s because I think it adds to the flavour and these stir-fry’s I find generally require less oil and are healthier.
Now don’t get me wrong I am not totally against oil in all my dishes. With a small amount of oil in the wok, stir-fry’s have been traditionally cooked this way and healthily for centuries. What does put me off is the overly generous addition of oils to food that is not required, this subsequently spoils the taste and adds unnecessary calories to otherwise a flavoursome delight. In this particular stir fry the sesame oil is essential to provide the overall flavour of the dish.
Marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least one hour if you can in order for the chicken to absorb as much moisture as possible.
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice or the juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce (I use light soy sauce)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 trimmed julienned leek (white and light green part cut lengthways)
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 nests of noodles (I use whole wheat)
- Salt and pepper to season
- Put all the marinade ingredients into one dish.
- Cut the chicken breasts into thin slices, add to the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Heat wok until very hot, add the sesame seeds and dry-fry them until just golden, then remove them from the wok. Set aside.
- In a separate saucepan add the noodles and cook according to packet instructions, then drain.
- Add sesame oil to the Wok and heat gently.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the chicken from the marinade, add the chicken to the wok and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the marinade to the Wok along with the leeks and stir-fry all the ingredients until the leeks are soft for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Check the chicken is cooked, add the sesame seeds and the drained, cooked noodles, stir-fry together well for about 30 seconds, season with salt and pepper.
Best served on slightly warmed plates.