Banana millet porridge is a deliciously creamy tasting alternative breakfast to oatmeal. Gluten free and ready in just 15 minutes, this healthy and satisfying breakfast makes for a great start to the day!
I’ve been making this banana millet porridge a lot recently, especially at weekends, as a change from my usual everyday oatmeal / porridge.
I confess I’ve been keeping it to myself!
It’s been a while since I brought you a new breakfast recipe with millet. My first was the spiced plum millet porridge which is still a favourite today.
Millet is such a highly nutritious grain. Check out just 5 of the many nutritional benefits of banana millet porridge below.
This breakfast was just too good to keep to myself any longer, I had to share it with you and I know you’re just going to love it!
I discovered millet in Kenya whilst on honeymoon in 2013. I must admit it took a few tries to cook it, and different variations of ingredients added before I was happy to publish breakfast recipes using it.
Without some kind of sweetness added, like the bananas and honey in this recipe, it can definitely be a bit plain tasting!
Still, with almost a third of the world having this as a staple in their diets, they can’t be wrong can they?
5 Nutritional Benefits of Banana Millet Porridge
- The added banana provides you with a high fibre instant energy kick start to your day
- Millet contains no gluten, so is gluten free and is therefore an ideal oatmeal / porridge substitute
- Millet is a great source of healthy fats for our bodies
- As a rich source of magnesium and potassium, millet helps to keep our blood pressure low and
- Contributes towards protecting our hearts from heart disease
So, today, I encourage you to try this tasty banana millet porridge breakfast alternative. See how long before you become addicted to it too.
Banana millet porridge is a delicious creamy tasting alternative breakfast to oatmeal.
- 105 g / 1 cup millet flakes
- 450 ml skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 bananas 1 sliced for topping
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp honey
- Place the millet, milk, coconut oil, cinnamon and sliced banana in a medium sized saucepan.
- Turn on a medium heat and bring the contents of the saucepan to the boil, then turn down to simmer. Stir constantly throughout the cooking to prevent the millet sticking.
- Once the millet is cooked to your liking, divide between two bowls and top with the remaining slices of banana, almonds and honey.
Well folks. Thanks for hanging around here at Neil’s Healthy Meals today, and I hope you do get a chance to try out and enjoy this delicious banana millet porridge recipe.
I’m hanging up my apron for two weeks now as Lady Lynne and I head off on our annual summer holidays.
We’re off camping in Cornwall. I can’t wait to get the camping stove out and cook in the great outdoors. Hopefully cooking lots of local produce and maybe even experiencing some sun!
Until then, take care and we’ll see you soon! 😀
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Thank you to Amanda for today’s thinking out loud!