Banana millet porridge is a deliciously creamy tasting alternative breakfast to oatmeal. Gluten free and ready in just 15 minutes, this healthy and satisfying breakfast makes for a great start to the day!
I've been making this banana millet porridge a lot recently especially at weekends as a change from my usual everyday oatmeal / porridge.
I confess I've been keeping it to myself!
It's been a while since I brought you a new breakfast recipe with millet. My first was the spiced plum millet porridge which is still a favourite today.
Millet is such a highly nutritious grain. Check out just 5 of the many nutritional benefits of banana millet porridge below.
This delicious creamy millet breakfast was just too good to keep to myself any longer. I had to share it .
It's an easy to make gluten free breakfast and I know you and your family are just going to love it!
I discovered millet in Kenya whilst on honeymoon in 2013.
Millet is an excellent gluten free alternative to wheat. It's really easy to digest and extremely healthy.
I must admit it took a few tries to cook it and different variations of ingredients added before I was happy to publish breakfast recipes using it.
Without some kind of sweetness added like the bananas and honey in this recipe I think it can definitely be a bit plain tasting!
But millet is an ancient food with almost a third of the world having this as a staple in their diets so they can't be wrong can they?
5 Nutritional Benefits of Banana Millet Porridge
- The added banana provides you with a high fibre instant energy kick start to your day
- Millet contains no gluten, so is gluten free and is therefore an ideal oatmeal / porridge substitute
- Millet is a great source of healthy fats for our bodies
- As a rich source of magnesium and potassium, millet helps to keep our blood pressure low and
- Contributes towards protecting our hearts from heart disease
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Porridge Recipes You Might Also Like
- Semolina breakfast porridge is a delicious, sweet and nutritious alternative to traditional porridge oats. Made with sliced banana, sultanas and chopped nuts it’s a healthy and filling start to the day too!
- Apple spice porridge is a deliciously simple heart-warming breakfast with a sweet apple taste and aromas of cinnamon, it’s literally a hug in a bowl. Perfect for cold winters mornings.
- Chocolate chip banana coconut porridge is the perfect brunch start to your weekend. It takes just 5 minutes to combine oats, chocolate chips, banana and coconut milk into this mouthwatering deliciously creamy breakfast lunch!
- Start your day off the right way with this delicious quick and easy banana porridge recipe which takes 5 minutes to make and is made with just 5 ingredients!
Banana Millet Porridge Recipe
So, today, I encourage you to try this tasty banana millet porridge breakfast alternative. See how long before you become addicted to it too.
I use millet flakes that I get from my local healthy food store but you can also use the ground version too.
The toppings I used here are simple and my favourites. Why not make this your own by trying different nuts, fruits, seeds or spices?
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Banana Millet Porridge Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 105 g millet flakes
- 450 ml skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bananas 1 sliced for topping
- 1 tablespoon toasted flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place the millet, milk, coconut oil, cinnamon and sliced banana in a medium sized saucepan.
- Turn on a medium heat and bring the contents of the saucepan to the boil, then turn down to simmer. Stir constantly throughout the cooking to prevent the millet sticking.
- Once the millet is cooked to your liking, divide between two bowls and top with the remaining slices of banana, almonds and honey.