Chicken Caesar salad is made healthier here with wholemeal croutons and a lower calorie dressing. It’s basically the same taste as the delicious original, you just wont be counting the impact of the calories with this version!
I don’t know if you’re anything like me, but if I’m out for lunch, one of my biggest “go-to” restaurant menu options that I’ll look for is the classic chicken Caesar salad.
Now, you would think that opting for a salad would be the healthiest option on the menu. Unfortunately sometimes, that’s not so.
One of the problems with ordering out isn’t that there’s anything wrong with the food. It’s normally prepared to the highest quality.
No, it can be the things they add to your food, without you asking or knowing. And the portion size.
For example did you know that the dressing alone can be up to 70% of the calories of the whole meal?
The amount of parmesan cheese is often excessive and the croutons often made from white bread unhealthy processed grains and then cooked in excessive oil or butter.
But, it’s not all bad news.
So, I’m sorry if the above has sounded that way.
You can ask the restaurant for your dressing to be on the side, and the ingredients I’ve mentioned to be removed or added, in just a small quantity.
Then of course, you could make your own delicious, healthy chicken Caesar salad recipe, like this one here. which is ideal for packed lunches too!
Plus, this chicken Caesar salad ideal for packed lunches, which saves you having to eat lunch out at all, and will save you money too!!
My classic chicken Caesar salad recipe still uses all of the original ingredients of this wonderful dish.
But takes it back to the basic healthy salad it should be.
The creamy dressing quantity is just enough for two, and not excessive.
And, by using just a little reduced fat cheese, and healthy hearty wholegrain wholemeal bread to make the croutons, you surely won’t miss out on any of the qualities or taste you’re looking for.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Salad Recipes You Might Also Like
- Turkey bacon and tomato salad is a delicious and easy, tasty lunch or dinner salad option with a unique Pennsylvania Dutch sweet and sour salad dressing.
- Honey mustard turkey pasta salad uses a really simple dressing which adds a whole lot of flavour to this recipe and it’s one that is versatile enough for you to use in your own pasta salad recipes too!
- Spiralized sweet potato salad is a simple dish made with a healthier dressing compared to other salad dressing options. It’s easy to make, a great way to use up leftovers and can be served as a main course or as a side!
- Quick healthy chicken salad. An easy to make lower calorie salad. A perfect dinner for busy weeknights and ideal for lunchboxes too!
Chicken Caesar salad is made healthier here with wholemeal croutons and a lower calorie dressing. It's basically the same taste as the delicious original, you just wont be counting the impact of the calories with this version!
Chicken Caesar Salad Recipe
You can easily double up the quantities below to cater for more people. The dressing also makes an excellent substitute for mayonnaise in coleslaw recipes.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Chicken Caesar Salad
- 2 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread cut into cubes (see notes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 baby gem lettuce hearts or similar romaine type lettuce
- 4 spring onions topped and tailed and finely sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 200 g cooked chicken roughly chopped up
- 40 g hard cheese like reduced fat cheddar
- Pre-heat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Make the dressing by placing all of the ingredients into a jar, shake well, season to taste and leave in the fridge until required.
- Make the croutons by placing the cubed wholemeal bread into a bowl and adding the olive oil and garlic then mixing together well until all of the oil is absorbed.
- Place the wholemeal cubes onto a baking tray, place into the oven and bake for 10 – 15 minutes until crispy, remove from oven.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves onto 2 plates, top with the spring onions, parsley, chopped chicken croutons and the grated cheese.
- Spoon over the dressing and serve.