You’ll love this summer superfood salad. How better to make sure you combine as many superfoods as possible into your daily diet, than by having them in an amazingly tasty and colourful summer superfood salad like this?
Hey folks, so you may well be asking, “OK, so a summer superfood salad, but just what exactly is a ‘superfood’”?
Well. A well-known search engine defines it as “a nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being”.
So, let’s list just some of the superfood nutritional benefits of this summer superfood salad that contribute towards your health and wellbeing:-
- Quinoa contains twice the protein content of rice and is known to be an excellent source of calcium, magnesium and manganese. It also has high levels of several B vitamins, vitamin E and dietary fibre.
- Butternut squash is low in fat, high in antioxidants (natural compounds found in food that can prevent or slow cell damage), potassium and vitamin B6. The colour indicates the presence of heart disease and cancer protecting nutrients knows as carotenoids.
- Broccoli is a good source of vitamin C, can help to reduce levels of cholesterol and triglycerides (both of which can cause cardiovascular disease) plus it contains folate and soluble and insoluble fibre and calcium too.
- Pine nuts and sunflower seeds are great sources of the essential fatty acid (omega 6), as well as both being rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid, said to help lower bad cholesterol and promote good cholesterol in the blood.
That’s a lot of good nutrition there!
You’ll find this is a great salad to take to work as a packed lunch.
That’s how I enjoy mine most.
It’s easily “freshened” up with a little squeeze of lemon or a dash of salt and pepper.
Great too served with some crisp breads!
Stuffed full of healthy superfoods plus a wholegrain boost from the quinoa, this vegetarian superfood salad is a sure winner..
- 100 g quinoa
- 330 ml vegetable stock
- 300 g butternut squash , peeled and cubed
- 130 g chopped broccoli
- 100 g peas
- 100 g wild rocket leaves , chopped
- 2 ripe salad tomatoes , chopped
- 1 inch piece of cucumber , diced
- 30 g pine nuts , toasted
- 10 g sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A good squeeze of fresh lemon
- Wash the quinoa in cold water, drain and place in a small saucepan along with the vegetable stock. Bring the stock to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes until most of the stock has been absorbed. Remove from heat, drain excess stock and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Whilst quinoa is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook the butternut squash, broccoli and peas. Prepare each based on their cooking times until they are al-dente.
- Place the wild rocket, drained quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, butternut squash, peas, pine nuts and sunflower seeds into a large bowl.
- Toss everything together in the olive oil and serve with a good squeeze of fresh lemon.
Well, we’re on a complete money saving exercise here now, since I mentioned in chicken caesar salad recipe, that we’ve booked a trip to Uganda in December to go Gorilla Trekking.
Anyway, I’ll let you know of the preparations for this trip over the next few months, and try to contain our excitement!!
Anyhoo. Let’s link up with Ms Spoons, as its Thursday @ Running with Spoons and head on over there to check out what everyone else is up too!
Have a good one! 🙂
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.