Leftover turkey soup is the ultimate recipe to use up that leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas. This delicious healthy turkey soup recipe is bursting with flavour!
Hey folks, in case you missed Tuesday’s recipe, turkey chow mein, this weeks recipe theme is all about using up that leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas.
So today it’s time for my tried, tested and much loved leftover turkey soup to make an appearance!
Its usually after Thanksgiving or Christmas that there’s an abundance of leftovers and that makes for the perfect opportunity to get creative with next-day meals of which this leftover turkey soup is no exception.
Heating up the leftovers and eating the same meal over and over again just isn’t going to cut it, that’s where this turkey soup from leftovers recipe comes into play!
This homemade turkey soup is one of my favorite recipes for using up leftovers and is ideal for making after the festivities because it really doesn’t require too much effort at all.
Plus if you don’t have any leftover turkey meat it’s equally easy enough to make this soup at any time of the year just by using cooked and shredded turkey breast meat.
Just like my chicken soup the health benefits of this leftover turkey soup are numerous and its especially great for if you have a winter cold!
I’ve made this a really simple healthy turkey soup where I’ve added rice as a cheap “bulk up” grain but you can add any different kind of vegetables you want to change it up a little or to substitute for the rice.
You can more or less use up whatever leftover vegetables you have sitting in your fridge!
Other Veggies You Could Add To This Leftover Turkey Soup
- Sweet Potatoes
- Turnips / Swede
- Green Beans
- Brussel sprouts
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Great Recipes for Leftover Turkey
- Baked potato with Coronation turkey recipe makes for a delicious quick healthy meal. Based on the classic Coronation chicken with fresh and lightly spiced flavours it’s a great way of using up leftover turkey too.
- Turkey and leek pie is a simple and quick recipe for using up any leftover turkey from the festive period. It’s a delicious low cost family meal that only requires a few ingredients.
- Turkey and broccoli stir fry is a fantastic quick healthy meal. A cost conscious stir fry it’s ideal for those on limited budgets. Tasty, easy to prepare and packed full of nutritional goodness too!
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well as it’s Christmas and the time for catching up with good friends I’ll be heading up to Dundee tomorrow to catch up with this lot, who I haven’t seen since our beer festival break in Munich in September!
And I’ll catch up with all of you, my good friends next week for our final two recipes before the big day!
I’ve got the boozy fruit salad christmas recipe I mentioned in the no bake chocolate orange cheesecake recipe coming first on Tuesday. I’d like to say it’s a healthier dessert. It is if you miss out the booze, but that’s a key ingredient ha ha! 😆
However, I do have a healthy cauliflower soup recipe for you on Thursday. That one is the perfect Christmas Day starter, if I may say do myself!
So, until next week, I hope you have a great weekend and I’ll catch you later.
Leftover Turkey Soup Recipe
This is a thick and comforting turkey soup for the winter season, and perfect for turkey leftovers!
Make sure to add this delicious recipe to your list of leftover turkey recipes!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Leftover Turkey Soup
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 175 g cooked turkey shredded
- 1 tbsp tarragon fresh or dried
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 40 g washed rice
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- A little tarragon to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the diced onions. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the shredded turkey and tarragon and then add the chicken stock and bring to the boil, turn down to simmer.
- Add the rice and simmer for 20 minutes until its cooked then turn off the heat.
- Stir in the milk, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls with a little more tarragon sprinkled over.