This delicious, simple, healthy chicken stew can be on the table for a family of four in just one hour. It’s one of our favourite go-to recipes when its been a long hard day at work.
Made from kitchen store cupboard basics, this quick healthy chicken stew is a perfect one pot recipe to satisfy even the hungriest of mouths.
Are you like me and you do long days at work?
Then you’re probably too tired to spend ages in the kitchen preparing chicken stew recipes with long lists of ingredients as well, yes?
So, if you’re with me and you’re nodding away too, then you’ll find this low fat chicken stew recipe a perfect dinner solution which doesn’t require much thought or much attention either!
Here we’re cooking everything together in the same pot with an excellent selection of veggies.
Those veggies help to contribute towards your “five a day”.
They provide an great selection of ingredients from all the food groups.
And because this is a one pot chicken casserole you’re also saving on the dreaded washing up!
For us, chicken features in many of my healthy stew recipes. It’s simple and easy to cook when you need something quick.
If you’re looking for another equally quick and healthy chicken recipe then try my chicken curry in a hurry!
There’s a perfectly adequate portion of chicken for each person in this healthy chicken stew recipe too.
Providing 62% of your recommended daily protein intake.
We choose to eat chicken regularly because it’s a low fat healthy protein source. Unlike red meats which excessive eating of is said to contribute towards heart disease and cancer.
If you’re able to make this before you go to work, having a huge pot of this quick healthy chicken stew sitting on the stove is a welcome and much needed sight to return home to in the evening!
For This Low Fat Chicken Stew Recipe You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
This is the casserole pot I use. It’s made of cast iron with a smooth enamel finish to reinforce durability and resistance.
You’ll see me using it in many of my recipes and recipe photographs.
Hygienic and easy to clean there is no absorption of colours and tastes. It’s ovenproof and suitable for all hob types.
It also comes with a lifetime guarantee. You’ll never need to buy another casserole pot after you buy this one!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
My Other Popular Healthy Stew Recipes With Chicken For You To Try
- One pot Mediterranean chicken is a delicious, fresh, quick and healthy meal all put together on the stove top. This tasty dish packed full of vegetables is only one hour away from your dinner table!
- One pot chicken, leek and sweet potato is the perfect quick healthy weeknight dinner recipe. This delicious and easy family casserole bakes in the oven and saves on the washing up!
- Chicken chorizo and courgette casserole is a delicious, quick and healthy budget dinner. The recipe makes up to 8 portions so there’s plenty to go round the family and there should be plenty to freeze too!
Watch the short video I made to show you how to make this delicious quick healthy chicken stew. It shows you how easy it really is!
Quick Healthy Chicken Stew Recipe
This low calorie chicken stew recipe is versatile. Why not change the vegetable ingredients for what you might have available or use up your leftovers?
Be sure to add this versatile recipe to your list of quick healthy chicken meals!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Quick Healthy Chicken Stew
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- ½. tsp dried thyme
- 400 g tin peeled plum tomatoes
- 140 g frozen sweetcorn
- 140 g frozen peas
- 450 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp cornflour mixed to a paste with 2 tbsp. cold water
- 450 g chicken breast fillets cut into bite size chunks
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to season
- Spray the bottom of a casserole dish about 5 times with the cooking spray, place over a high heat, and then once the oil starts to bubble turn the heat down a little, add the sliced onion and sauté for about 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and continue to cook everything for a further 2 – 3 minutes.
- Stir in the dried thyme and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, sweetcorn and peas and combine everything together well.
- Add the chicken stock and corn flour paste. Bring everything to the boil and then turn down allowing to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and allow to cook for about 15 – 20 minutes. Check the chicken is cooked by cutting a piece in half, to check it’s not still pink inside.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with a little whole grain rice or a few new baby potatoes.