One pot Mediterranean chicken is a delicious, fresh, quick and healthy meal all put together on the stove top. This tasty dish packed full of vegetables is only one hour away from your dinner table!
This one pot Mediterranean chicken is full of all those classic and beautiful flavours you would associate with that part of the world.
Here, I’ve combined chicken, tomatoes, courgette, red and green peppers and fresh basil to give you a great healthy family meal, just like what those folks in the Mediterranean eat. 😀
You know I’m a huge fan of the Mediterranean diet it’s what I try as much as possible to base my cooking on.
It’s not just about amazing flavours and lots of fresh bright vegetables making your taste buds sing; it’s also about the fact that the Mediterranean diet is associated with a much healthier heart.
Folks there are said to have a 30% reduced risk of heart disease and strokes.
Oh, and if you’re not a meat eater then similar to this recipe (but without the chicken) my Mediterranean vegetable casserole could be just what you’re looking for!
How I Created This One Pot Mediterranean Chicken
For my first few attempts at creating this recipe, I had it in my head that I would cook it as a casserole, in the oven and just try and get as much flavour as I could out of the vegetables by using chicken stock.
Albeit those attempts weren’t really that bad, what made all the difference was the addition of a can of chopped tomatoes and some good thick quality tomato puree.
For the tomato puree I used Cirio tomato puree which as usual I’m grateful to them for sending me some free samples to try! 🙂
It was as if though the addition of the tomatoes coaxed out all the flavours of the vegetables.
Plus I found that adding the chicken back at the end of cooking the vegetables and making the whole dish on my stove top instead of in the oven meant the chicken was much more juicier and succulent rather than it being a bit drier when done in the oven.
All in all I think the way it came together was simply meant to be. 🙂
If you’ve struggled to get your daily dose of vitamin C during the day then look no further than a good portion of this one pot Mediterranean chicken
As for adding anything else as an accompaniment, something quite plain, like a few tablespoons of couscous I find is perfectly adequate. Plus it won’t add much on the calorie front either.
In fact I’ve pretty much got you covered for all your meals Mediterranean diet wise too!
Check out my other Mediterranean recipes in the list below!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Great Mediterranean Recipes For You To Try
- Mediterranean breakfast egg muffins are a delicious and healthy way to start your weekend. This simple, versatile vegetarian recipe is low carb, packed with protein, glutenfree and low in calories too!
- Mediterranean vegetable soup is delicious and easy to make. It’s just 100 calories per serving and at the same time full of flavour and extremely filling!
- Mediterranean chorizo couscous is a delicious quick healthy budget meal. You’ll love the flavours of the smoky sweet lightly toasted couscous. It’ll make your taste buds sing!
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
So folks if you hadn’t already guessed it, that’s us back! 😀
If you didn’t already know we’ve been away in Hawaii and San Francisco over the last couple of weeks.
So stand by next Tuesday for details of our trip to Hawaii and San Francisco and more to follow!
Another trip off our bucket list. What a truly amazing time we had!
Then next Thursday there will be a new chicken and mixed bean stir fry recipe. Gosh it’s been so long since I did a stir fry recipe………….
I hope you can join me next week but until then have an amazing weekend!
One Pot Mediterranean Chicken Recipe
This Mediterranean chicken is an еаѕу and hеаlthу recipe with less to clean up at the end of the night.
One you’ll definitely want to add to your list of healthy one pot meals!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
One Pot Mediterranean Chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 750 g diced chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 small courgette sliced then quartered
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 400 g tin chopped tomtatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to season
- Grind a little salt and pepper over the diced chicken and gently massage it into the chicken
- Gently heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large casserole pot / large saucepan over a medium heat, add the chicken and brown, stirring for about 5 minutes until no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan again heating it gently.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes until softened then add the diced courgette cook, stirring all for a couple of minutes.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes, then diced peppers and cook stirring gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the pan, add the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and basil.
- Turn down the heat to allow the contents of the pan to simmer, cover the pan and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes, and the sauce has thickened.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve.