Spicy fish plaki is a low cost quick healthy meal where white fish fillets are covered with a spicy Indian Dahl fish topping made from lentils and tomatoes and then baked. All in just 30 minutes!
This spicy fish plaki dish is a great way to make sure that you get your recommended portions of fish per week.
A brilliant Friday night end of the week quick healthy meal, it goes down well with a cold glass of Pinot Grigot!
I make no secret that I love Fish Plaki and I love spicy food!
So I thought, why not make a kind of spicy Indian Dahl fish topping with lentils and tomatoes and see how it turns out.
It turned out very tasty and have just the right amount of spiciness so as not to overpower the fish.
This recipe is ready in just 30 minutes with the minimum of fuss and cooking and it gives you at least 1 of the 2 recommended fish portions you should have per week.
River Cobbler fillets were only £2.50 for 2 in a local supermarket and in going with one of the themes of my blog, to make and show low cost healthy and nutritious food I bought them with this recipe in mind.
Of course it doesn’t have to be River Cobbler fillets you specifically use, any kind of cheap white fish fillets like Colley or Pollock will also do.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Fish Recipes You Might Also Like
- Quick healthy fish cakes are really easy to make and delicious too. At only 128 calories each, this healthy fish cakes recipe makes 8 fishcakes packed full of flavour.
- Grilled fish provencal is a super easy quick healthy meal. Tender baked white fish fillets with a golden crunchy breadcrumb topping.
- Easy healthy fish pie makes for an excellent weekday family dinner for 4 and can be on the table in just one hour. It’s packed full of protein and each tasty serving comes in at less than 400 calories!
Spicy Fish Plaki Recipe
This excellent spicy fish meal is made from cheap and healthy store cupboard ingredients. A recipe that certainly won’t break the bank!
I’d also love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Spicy Fish Plaki
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 35 g red split lentils
- Low fat cooking spray
- One small onion finely diced
- 1 tsp green chilli paste (or 1 chopped green chilli)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 white fish fillets
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F
- Lightly spray a suitable size casserole dish, which will fit the fish and the tinned tomatoes in, with the low fat cooking spray.
- Spray a small saucepan a couple of times with the low fat cooking spray, heat the saucepan on high for a minute or so then reduce the heat and sauté the onion. Once softened add the green chilli paste and stir for about a minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and then the lentils and stir the mixture. Once the mixture is bubbling turn the mixture down and simmer for 4 – 5 minutes stirring well.
- Season the tomato sauce / Dahl mixture to taste.
- Lay the fish fillets side by side in the casserole dish spray them lightly with the low fat cooking spray and top evenly with the sauce / Dahl mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish fillets you have used, until the fish is cooked.
- Serve with a little rice and green vegetables.