Sweet potato and spinach soup is a quick, easy, hearty and comforting soup. Nourishing, delicious and rich in flavour this healthy green soup is a perfect soup for those winter lunch moments!
Folks, I can guarantee that this sweet potato and spinach soup will warm your bones on any cold winters day!
It’s got more nutrients than a traditional potato and spinach soup plus its made nice and creamy tasting with skimmed milk and low fat cream cheese added.
The sweet potatoes add a wonderful natural and subtle sweetness that temper the sharpness of the spinach.
Don’t be put off by the intense green colour! Just remember all the goodness (and check the nutrition label below) that you’re getting from this bowl of healthy spinach soup!
I made this sweet potato and spinach soup from leftovers. That’s the beauty of soups. You can practically make them from any leftover ingredients that you may have.
The other great thing about soups is that they’re usually really easy to make (well at least the ones I choose to make and publish here are!)
Just a little chopping (in the case of this potato and spinach soup very little), some cooking, some stirring, and then some blending, and you’ve got a healthy lunch option that you can easily freeze in individual portions. Saving you money too!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
My Other Popular Sweet Potato Soup Recipes For You To Try
- Sweet potato and red lentil soup – a delicious and easy recipe. This healthy vegan and gluten free soup is a perfect filler that never fails to please.
- Sweet Potato, Garlic and Chilli Soup – Butter free, this soup is ideal for vegans or just soup lovers alike.
- Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup – low calorie, really tasty, filling, and has just the right amount of heat from the chilli. It’s a soup that gives you a warming hug just when you need it most.
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well folks, in case you hadn’t failed to notice with all the advertising and decorated shops it’s valentines day next Wednesday and for once, recipe wise I’ve actually got myself ahead of the game and made a fantastic Strawberry Banana Valentines Pancakes recipe for you.
I mean I created a fantastic Strawberry Valentines Pancakes recipe last year but this time I promise you I’ve taken valentines pancakes recipes to a whole new level.
Just ask Lady Lynne who keeps asking me when I’m going to do the Strawberry Banana Valentines Pancakes for her again!
So, please join me on Tuesday for that recipe, which will give you time to get the recipe ingredients in for making it on the Wednesday!
Then on Thursday I’ve a delicious low fat tagliatelle carbonara pasta dish. A healthier twist on the original! Hope you can join me then!
And finally, thank you GiGi for giving me the idea for this soup recipe. Check out the comments in the Potato and Spinach Soup recipe, where she actually suggested this and that was where the idea came from! 😀
Sweet Potato and Spinach Soup Recipe
You can choose your own garnishes here for this spinach soup recipe.
But as a suggestion this sweet potato soup recipe is fantastic with some grated cheese or a swirl of plain yogurt.
Or just add some chopped chives just to keep it simple as I’ve done in the photographs here.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Sweet Potato and Spinach Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium sized sweet potato peeled and diced
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 300 g baby spinach chopped
- 250 ml skimmed milk
- 100 g low fat soft cheese
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg to season
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic for 2 – 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the sweet potato and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring it to the boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes have softened.
- Add the spinach in batches and cook, simmering for a further 10 minutes to allow the spinach to break down. Then remove the soup from the heat.
- Blitz the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Return the soup to the pan and bring it back to the boil and then turn down to simmer, stir in the skimmed milk and low fat cream cheese until combined.
- Season to taste and add desired amount of nutmeg.
- Serve with crusty wholemeal bread.