This easy delicious tomato and onion salad is the perfect side dish for virtually any occasion. It's just bursting with flavour!
If you're looking for a refreshing and healthy salad option then why not try out this tangy tasty tomato and onion salad?
This is not only a superb side dish for a BBQ, but it also easily compliments curries, roast meat dishes and pasta recipes.
Plus it makes a great light starter dish served with some crusty bread and continental meats.
Like my cherry tomato salad recipe we've been enjoying this tomato onion salad outside with the warm weather and lots of al fresco dining.
It's a great recipe for entertaining and is sure to impress your guests who will be asking you for the recipe!
This tomato salad recipe can easily be whipped up in a few minutes.
You'll love the mouthwatering blend of ripe cherry tomatoes and crunchy red onions complimented with the tasty dressing.
This tomato onion salad will tantalise your taste buds and leave them craving more.
Not only is this vibrant salad incredibly easy to make, but it also offers many health benefits.
You'll definitely want to add this salad recipe to your list of favourite salads.
It's a simple yet satisfying dish to enjoy all year round!
👪 Why You Should Make Tomato Onion Salad
- Refreshing and Light: This salad is a perfect choice for a light and refreshing side dish, especially during hot weather.
- Nutrient-Rich: Tomatoes are a great source of vitamins and minerals. Onions too are packed with vitamins C and B. This salad offers a nutritious boost to your meal.
- Quick and Easy: Preparing a tomato and onion salad is really simple and quick. With just minimal chopping and a dressing made in a jar. It can be ready in just a few minutes. This makes it an ideal option for busy weeknights or weekends.
- Customisable: You can make this your own by adding other ingredients such as cucumber, bell peppers, feta cheese, olives, or herbs.
- Complements Many Dishes: This salad's fresh and tangy taste complements a wide range of dishes. Grilled meats, pasta, sandwiches or even a healthy snack. Adding the tomato and onion salad, it's a classic combination!
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Fresh Parsley
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
🔪 Step By Step Instructions
Detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. But here is a quick step by step guide of how to make this easy tomato and onion salad recipe:
- Put the tomatoes and onion into a small bowl and mix.
- Put all of the dressing ingredients into a jar and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Mix well. Season to taste. Place into fridge.
- Serve in a suitable dish.
- Cherry Tomatoes - you could use grape tomatoes or vine tomatoes instead.
- Red Onion - you could use a brown onion, shallots or spring onions instead.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - use only a good quality extra virgin olive oil for this salad.
- Red Wine Vinegar - I've tried other vinegars they can work, but red wine is best.
- Fresh Parsley - use only freshly chopped flat leaf parsley for best flavours.
- Salt - I use freshly ground sea salt.
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
How Many Calories Are In Tomato Onion Salad?
There are 82 calories per suggested serving of this tomato and onion salad.
Can I Make This Ahead?
This salad is best served fresh. It can be made ahead and stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for 1-2 days. Add the dressing after storing though. This will prevent the salad going watery. Stir well before serving.
Can I Freeze This?
This tomato salad is not freezable.
🥗 More Salad Recipes For You To Try
📋 Tomato And Onion Salad Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 500 g cherry tomatoes quartered.
- ½ red onion finely chopped.
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar.
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped.
- ¾ teaspoon salt.
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Put the tomatoes into a small bowl and mix with the onion.
- Place all the oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, and pepper into a jar and shake well together.
- Pour the dressing over, coating all the tomatoes then mix well together. Check seasoning.
- Place into fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving stir well again.
🧾 Nutrition Label
Nutritional information provided below is calculated using paid for online tools and the exact ingredients and quantities used above.
⭐ Rate The Recipe
If you’ve made this tomato and onion salad recipe, or any other recipes on Neil's Healthy Meals, then please let me know.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂