This is a delicious low calorie chicken sausage casserole recipe that takes less than an hour to make. Full of flavour and made in one pan it’s a perfect quick healthy meal that all the family will love.
There’s so much going on in this tasty, healthy, tomato based chicken sausage casserole recipe, I just don’t know where to start with all the benefits!
OK, so first, I should just say that like my easy pasta arrabiata recipe, I made this chicken sausage casserole recipe from the fantastic free box of tomato products I received from Cirio. Thank you Cirio!
Secondly, this easy one pot dish is an excellent source of fibre, vitamins, protein and its low calorie too. Helping to provide the essentials for a healthy lifestyle, which you can read about fully in the healthy living section.
The quality of their products really gives this chicken sausage casserole it’s rich tomato taste. I really do recommend you trying them out.
If you liked this casserole recipe, why not check out my casserole recipes section, there’s sure to be another one you’ll enjoy!
- 6 chicken sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml finely chopped tomatoes with chilli*
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped Jalapenos from a jar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Grill the chicken sausages under a medium grill, or use a George Forman grill, once cooked lay aside to cool whilst you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the olive oil in a stove proof casserole dish or a medium sized saucepan.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the green pepper and sauté for a further 3 to 4 minutes until soft.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes, the finely chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste. Bring the tomato contents of the saucepan to the boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Whilst simmering away cut the sausages into half lengthways and then half the halves, and cut those in half so that you have 8 pieces from each sausage.
- Add the sausage pieces to the saucepan along with the black beans and chopped jalapenos.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until everything has cooked through and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide between bowls and serve with couscous or wholegrain basmati rice
* If you cannot get Cirio finely chopped tomatoes with chilli use 300ml tomato passata and 1 tsp. Chilli paste instead
Folks, thanks for keeping up, and for all of you new subscribers joining too! It’s great to see a whole community of people joining and even if you just click on the recipe and look at the pictures, that still makes it all worthwhile for me.
I’m looking forward to bringing you a brand new banana almond overnight quinoa breakfast recipe this Thursday. It’s one that I’ve been enjoying taking into work, and a change from porridge nearly every day.
And, because the weather got just a little warmer here in Scotland, it’s actually been OK to have a cold breakfast rather than NEEDING a hot one to warm me up!
Catch you Thursday!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.