This strawberry and almond rye flakes porridge breakfast is a heart healthy, nutritious, tasty and naturally sweetened alternative start to the day and will keep you fuller for longer!
Enter porridge breakfast number 4 from this week’s series – delicious strawberry and almond rye flakes porridge!
Remember to check out my previous 3 porridge breakfast recipes and if porridge isn’t your thing, no problems, simply check out the entire breakfast recipes in Neil’s Healthy Meals index for other options. 😀
I hadn’t tried out this wholegrain as a porridge until recently when I googled it and there were indeed recipes to be found. I usually just use rye flakes in my home made muesli recipe but now I’ll be enjoying this strawberry and rye flakes porridge alongside all my other porridge recipes too!
- 35g rye flakes
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
- 150ml skimmed milk/other milk of choice or water
- 80g chopped strawberries
- 20g flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp. flax seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp. runny honey (optional)
- Place the rye flakes into a small saucepan with the chia seeds and add the milk.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer, stirring continuously until the rye flakes are soft and a desired consistency is achieved.
- Place the rye flakes into a microwaveable dish with the chia seeds and add the milk.
- Microwave on full power for 2 minutes, stir and then microwave for one more minute. (Microwave times may vary so watch the porridge does not boil over).
- Remove the cooked porridge to a serving bowl.
- Stir in the chopped strawberries and flaked almonds and mix in the flax seeds.
- Drizzle the runny honey over.
This is a good old fashioned nordic porridge breakfast that will have you savouring each and every mouthful. I’ll be bringing you the final porridge recipe of the week tomorrow. 🙂
I’d love to hear what you think of this strawberry and almond rye flakes porridge?
Finally today as its Thursday I like to link up with Amanda at Running with Spoons here to share with you what’s going on over there!