Curried potato and kale soup is a delicious and nutritious budget soup. With a beautiful creamy texture and a hint of curry, this filling soup will not leave you still feeling hungry.
I've always been a fan of thick pureed soups and this curried potato and kale soup is no exception.
But wouldn't you agree that scooping the remains of a thick, creamy pureed soup out of the bowl with a hunk of homemade bread is really satisfying?
The combination of the potatoes and kale go perfectly together here so it's not only an extremely satisfying soup but it's a mighty tasty and healthy one too.
With a huge amount of Vitamin C consumed from just one bowl you can be sure you're helping your body to protect itself from any colds coming your way and especially more so at this time of year.
Basically this simple soup came about because I had a bag of white potatoes to use up and the bag of kale was left over from making the recently published Scottish Vegetable Stew.
If there's one thing that does not happen in our house that's waste.
Food thrown away is not just food wasted but it my eyes its money wasted too and for a frugal Scottish person like myself that makes me pretty annoyed!
I'm always looking for creative ways to use up any leftover vegetables which means my other half and I make the most of our grocery budget making sure we save our money for the things that we both enjoy most in life - like our holidays.
So, with Christmas around the corner let's all see if we can help reduce the massive amount of food waste in this world by being creative and letting nothing go to waste!
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Delicious Recipes Using Potato or Kale For You To Try
- Roasted Garlic Onion and Potato Soup - made from just 6 ingredients, it’s vegan and is a perfect way to use up surplus potatoes.
- Sweet Potato and Kale Hotpot - a quick, hearty all in one healthy meal. This low cost vegan stew is packed full of vitamins that help keep colds and flu away!
- Chorizo Scallop and Kale Stir Fry - a really easy quick healthy meal for two. The chorizo releases its delicious flavours in this stir fry giving a lovely smokey flavour throughout!
- Healthy creamy kale soup is quick and easy to make. This delicious budget soup is made with just a handful of ingredients and makes 6 portions.
Curried Potato and Kale Soup Recipe
If you like your soups chunky and want to leave some chunks of potato in this potato kale soup then only puree ¾ of the soup.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Curried Potato and Kale Soup Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 500 g white potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 1 L vegetable or chicken stock
- 200 g chopped kale stalks removed
- 250 ml skimmed milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Gently heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and potatoes and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes, add the curry powder and continue sautéing until softened, about 8 minutes in total.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, simmer for 15 minutes then add the chopped kale and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the kale and potatoes are soft.
- Puree the soup until smooth in a blender or puree in the same pot with a stick blender.
- Transfer the pureed soup back the pan and gradually stir in the milk.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.