Healthy baked macaroni with broccoli is an easy family casserole recipe. Made with whole wheat and low fat ingredients it's delicious and healthy too!
Healthy baked macaroni with broccoli is made with whole wheat pasta, delicious broccoli, skimmed milk, Dijon mustard and low fat grated cheese.
This is a fantastic healthy homemade macaroni recipe but with added broccoli.
If you're struggling to get your kids to eat their greens, this could easily sneak it into their dinner. Just leave out the Dijon mustard if you think that's too strong for them.
I've largely based this recipe on one I did 5 years ago (OMG 5 years!).
You folks have loved my tuna macaroni bake so many times and seeing as this was a number of years ago I though it was time to bring a new updated vegetarian version with broccoli!
You'll find this healthy macaroni cheese bake really simple to make.
It's perfect if you're short on time and just need a classic comforting healthy family meal on the dinner table quickly.
There are only 6 ingredients involved, just 10 minutes prep and no more than 30 minutes cooking time.
This dinner is sure to be a winner all round!
This healthy baked macaroni with broccoli recipe is great for when you’re craving a pasta and cheese fix.
But it doesn't have all the extra fat and calories you would find in traditional recipes.
In the nutrition label below you'll see that this recipe is low in fat, high in protein and provides a whopping 55% of your daily vitamin C requirement too.
Plus it's only 264 calories per serving!
For This Healthy Macaroni Cheese Broccoli Casserole You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
This is the set of pans I recommend for cooking with.
The set includes 16, 18, 20 cm saucepans, 1 x 14 cm milk pan and 1 x 24 cm fry pan.
The pans are suitable for all hobs including induction.
They come with a 1-year guarantee which can be extended to a 10-year warranty when you register the product.
Tips For How To Make Healthy Baked Macaroni With Broccoli
- Get all of the ingredients assembled.
- If using frozen broccoli allow it to defrost completely first.
- To further minimise time make the cheese sauce whilst the macaroni is cooking.
- You can substitute the whole wheat macaroni with normal macaroni but the nutrition label will be invalid.
- Same with substituting the skimmed milk or low fat cheese for full fat versions.
- To make this recipe gluten free use gluten free pasta.
- You can freeze any leftovers. I suggest cutting any leftovers into individual portions and freezing them in containers.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Bloglovin & YouTube.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Pasta Bake Recipes You Might Also Like
- Chicken broccoli stilton pasta bake is a delicious easy family meal. It’s relatively healthy, low cost and can be on the table in less than an hour.
- Vegetarian quorn pasta bolognese bake takes just under an hour to prepare and can serve up to six people. It's packed with healthy wholegrain fusilli pasta and vegetables!
- The best chicken and sweetcorn pasta bake is simply that. An easy, delicious and satisfying chicken pasta bake that all the family will love!
- Healthy baked feta pasta is my lighter version of the popular Tiktok recipe sensation. It’s easy to make with step-by-step pictures and tastes amazing!
Healthy baked macaroni with broccoli is an easy family casserole recipe. Made with whole wheat and low fat ingredients it's delicious and healthier too!
Healthy Baked Macaroni With Broccoli Recipe
To go with this healthy baked macaroni with broccoli, I like to serve it either with a simple green side salad of lettuce, cucumber and spring onions.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Healthy Baked Macaroni with Broccoli Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 175 g whole wheat macaroni
- 200 g broccoli cut into florets*
- 300 ml skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 100 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180C Fan.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water for 8 minutes then add the broccoli florets and cook for a further 2 minutes. Drain in a sieve and return to the pot.
- Whilst the macaroni is cooking add the milk, flour and mustard to a medium sized saucepan. Bring the mixture to the boil, then turn it down to simmer and whisk it thoroughly until you have a smooth and thickened white sauce. Then add 75g of the cheese and again whisk until smooth.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pot with the macaroni and broccoli and stir together well to combine.
- Pour the contents of the saucepan into an oven proof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place onto the middle shelf of your oven.
- Bake for approximately 15 – 20 minutes until the cheese has browned slightly and is bubbling.
- Serve with a green side salad of lettuce, cucumber and spring onions.
How lovely! I love broccoli on its own, but combined with pasta and cheese, that's even better! I wouldn't mind adding some garlic, smoked paprika and (perhaps) a bit of smoked cheddar / mozzarella sprinkled on top. Either way, this meal is delicious!
This recipe is great to adapt to suit your own tastes Ben and it definitely sounds like you've done that. Love those tweeks you've made. 🙂
David @ Spiced
I absolutely love broccoli in a pasta bake! This one looks so creamy and delicious...perfect for these chilly days. I'm with Ben that I might have to sneak some garlic (ooo...or roasted garlic) into the sauce here. But all together, two thumbs up! This looks like the kind of dinner that I would love to sit down to. 🙂
Its that time of year for easy cooking to sit down to isn't it David? Love the idea of adding some roasted garlic in as well. Lovely flavours there! Thanks for your comment! 🙂
Matt - Total Feasts
I love a good Mac and Cheese, but I was always conscious that it isn't the healthiest of meals. I bet my boys will like this version!
And you'll have been able to sneak some green vegetables in too Matt! Ha ha! Glad you like it, and hope you get a chance to make it! 🙂
1. I love that you used whole-wheat pasta, and 2. I love that you included broccoli. So much better than your basic "American" mac and cheese, which I don't love.
That's a lovely comment Mimi. I'm humbled. Thank you so much! 😀
I love mac’n’cheese, Neil, but rarely make it because of all the really delicious parts. So this recipe is perfect for me. I love that you used whole grain pasta, too! Totally amps up the healthy! Nice recipe!
Thanks Laura. I love this recipe because it goes to show you can still enjoy your favourite foods (like mac'n'cheese) when they're healthier!
Neil, this one takes me back to my youth when my mom would sneak broccoli into her unhealthy Mac-Cheese. Good news, it worked, as I love broccoli and now you've shown me a healthier way to make a broccoli pasta bake.
Ha ha! That's cool what your mom did Ron. She obviously had your best interests at heart! 🙂
This happens to be one of our favorite winter meal. I usually serve it with some garlic and herbed toasted bread.
That sounds like a great accompaniment. Yum!
Most macaroni and cheese recipes are too heavy for me, but you've solved that! Love this creamy, but lightened up pasta bake. And you've made it even healthier (and a complete meal!) with the addition of broccoli. Great recipe!
Hey Marissa, so glad you like my recipe! Yes me too, I love macaroni and cheese recipes but not with loads of cream and cheese so this one is so much better. Plus I've sneaked in some greens. Ha ha! 😉
Love this recipe, I love macaroni cheese but seldom make it due to the calorie content. Great to find a healthier version. Love it with the broccoli but I’ve also made it substituting broccoli for cherry tomatoes which is lovely. Will now try with garlic too, yum yum.
Hi Glynis, thanks for making and rating my recipe. I'm so glad you liked it! 😀
I love your idea of substituting the broccoli for cherry tomatoes. I must try that, thank you. I'm sure Lady Lynne will love it too!
Kelly | Foodtasia
Oh yum! Neil, this is a beautiful macaroni and cheese. I love the light texture of the sauce. Adding broccoli makes it all the better!
It's great to sneak that Broccoli in. It means Lynne eats her vegetables! Ha ha!