Mackerel beetroot salad is a great quick healthy meal. Rich in healthy oils like Omega-3 and Omega-6, it’s packed with essential vitamins and minerals too.
If you’re anything like me, then making a decent, healthy, and filling lunch for the next day to take to work has got to be a quick and simple task.
The last thing I want, especially if I’ve just done an hour at the gym, is to laboriously pour over preparing an evening meal and a complicated lunch too.
That’s exactly where this mackerel beetroot salad fits in!
Normally I’m all about preparing lots of different soups at the weekend and freezing them.
It’s easy to take out a couple of soups for the next day in the evening. These will easily de-frost overnight.
I put them in transportable containers in the morning for a packed lunch, ready to be stored in the fridges provided at work.
Sometimes though, as much as I love my soup, and I’m sure you’ll agree with me, soups can be pretty mundane every single day!
That’s where this mackerel beetroot salad comes in.
Knowing that I had beetroot left over from the gluten free chocolate and beetroot muffins recipe I headed out to my local supermarket.
A quick hunt through the aisles and I came away with a reduced piece of mackerel and some cheap salad basics.
The result was this excellent heart healthy mackerel beetroot salad. A simple, but also pretty tasty lunch option!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Salad Recipes You Might Also Like
- Honey mustard turkey pasta salad uses a really simple dressing which adds a whole lot of flavour to this recipe and it’s one that is versatile enough for you to use in your own pasta salad recipes too!
- Borlotti bean and tuna salad is made in just 15 minutes. It’s enough to feed a family of 4 and it’s packed with healthy goodness. This tasty recipe makes for an excellent quick healthy meal, ideal as a lunch or dinner option!
- King prawn and rocket salad has a delicious lime and soy dressing which is bursting with flavour. This is one salad you’ll not want to put down once you’ve started it!
Mackerel Beetroot Salad Recipe
Enjoy this healthy and delicious mackerel beetroot salad as a packed lunch or as an excellent light dinner option.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Mackerel Beetroot Salad
For the salad
- 250 g new salad potatoes cut into bite size chunks
- 140 g smoked mackerel strips skinned and chopped into 2cm pieces
- 100 g chopped mixed salad leaves
- 100 g cooked beetroot chopped
- 10 g pumpkin seeds
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ Tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to season
- Cook the potatoes, for 20 – 25 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, chop and prepare the rest of the salad ingredients and place in a bowl.
- Make the dressing by placing all the dressing ingredients into a jar and shaking well together.
- Add the cooked, cooled potatoes to the bowl of salad, top with the dressing and combine well.
- Divide between 2 plates / lunchboxes.